Quick Exit
Sheffield Children Safeguarding Partnership logoConcerned about a child button

Sheffield Children Safeguarding Partnership

SPRING 24 UPDATES: We are updating our website. Please use the search bar if you can’t find the information you need or contact SCSP to make recommendations for updates.

What is Child Abuse?

This page gives information about the types of abuse that can happen, and who you can contact if you want to talk to a professional about anything that is worrying you.

Always Remember: Abuse is Never Your Choice and is Never Your Fault

What is Abuse?

There are different kinds of abuse. These are:

Physical abuse

This is when someone physically hurts or harms a child or young person. This includes:

  • hitting
  • squeezing
  • biting
  • twisting limbs
  • burning
  • poisoning
  • violently shaking a baby

Emotional Abuse includes:

  • name calling
  • being threatened
  • being made fun of or made to feel small
  • seeing violence between people who care for you

Sexual Abuse includes:

  • being touched in a way you don’t like
  • being forced to have sex
  • be made to look at sexual pictures or videos

Neglect includes:

  • Not having things you need, like a safe home, enough food, and clothes that fit you and are clean and warm.
  • Not getting support to go to school and do well.
  • Not being helped to stay healthy and to get medical help when there is something wrong.
  • Not having enough supervision, or clear and appropriate boundaries to guide your behaviour.
  • Not getting love and care from your parents or carers.

Bullying and Discrimination

Bullying and discrimination are also forms of abuse, whether the bully is another child or young person or by an adult. Bullying includes:

  • hitting
  • taking someone's personal things
  • name-calling
  • racist bullying
  • being bullied because of being gay
  • being bullied via the Internet or by mobile phone.

Abuse creates all kinds of emotions, including feeling frightened, confused, alone, guilty, unloved, and ashamed. If something is worrying you, it is important to talk to someone you trust, any information you share will be confidential.

You can get help and advice from:

  • ChildLine website - free, confidential helpline telephone - 0800 1111
  • Frank website - national drugs helpline - telephone 0800 77 66 00
  • Kidscape website - preventing bullying of children and young people - telephone 08451 205 204
  • Missing People website - works with children and young people who runaway and their families - telephone 0500 700 700
  • Safe at Last website - South Yorkshire organisation for children and young people who run away and families - telephone 0800 781 7536
  • Think you know website - information about internet safety and how to report abuse
  • The Corner – Sheffield’s young people’s substance misuse service provide support and treatment for under 18s experiencing problems with drugs and alcohol.
  • Roundabout – Range of Housing and Housing Support for young people aged 16+.
  • Depaul – Support for young people facing homelessness.
  • Kooth - Free safe and anonymous place to find online support and counselling.
  • SAYiT – Emotional wellbeing support for LGBT+ young people in Sheffield
  • Sheffield Young Carers – Support for young carers and children affected by drug and alcohol issues in their family.
  • Sheffield Futures – Supporting young people with careers and education and also have projects to support good mental health.

Getting Help to Overcome Abuse

A guide has been written by young people who have all experienced abuse or neglect. They hope that this will help others in similar situations get the help and support they need and deserve, and urge practitioners to share this with the young people they meet. 

There is a quick guide Getting help to overcome abuse and this webpage has more information:  www.nice.org.uk/about/nice-communities/social-care/quick-guides/getting-help-to-overcome-abuse.


Have your say...

Comments are closed for this article

If you are concerned about another child or young person, follow this link: Referring a safeguarding concern to Children’s Social Care

Helpful organisations:

  • Childline for advice and support to children and young people. Phone 0800 1111 or visit the Childline website.

  • Kidscape is a Children’s charity that gives practical advice to young people about bullying and keeping safe. Visit the Kidscape website. 

  • The Samaritans confidential helpline for young people experiencing feelings of distress or despair – tel: 08457 90 90 90. Visit The Samaritans website

  • Youth Access – Tel: 020 8772 9900. This organisation will put you in touch with local services that offer information, advice and counselling

  • The Hideout - for young people affected by domestic abuse. Visit The Hideout website.