Drug or Alcohol Misuse in Pregnancy
Drug and / or alcohol use in pregnancy
All women disclosing drug and / or alcohol misuse in pregnancy must be referred to the specialist midwife for drugs and alcohol (0114 271 1900 bleep 2903). The woman and her partner must be informed about the referral. These cases are then brought for discussion at MAPLAG.
The Multi-Agency Pregnancy Liaison and Assessment Group (MAPLAG) is a Sheffield Children Safeguarding Partnership meeting. MAPLAG meetings take place fortnightly to discuss issues around women who experience difficulties with drug or alcohol use in pregnancy.
Why do MAPLAG meetings take place?
Who attends the meetings?
Representatives from key agencies attend. These include:
- a specialist midwife in drugs and alcohol (Jessops)
- a consultant obstetrician in drugs and alcohol (Jessops)
- a clinical nurse specialist in drugs and alcohol
- a liaison health visitor in drugs and alcohol
- a social work practitioner
- a MAST practitioner
- a representative from the Safeguarding Children Substance Misuse Service chairs and minutes the meeting
If you require further information please contact:
Safeguarding Children Substance Misuse Service
Floor 3, Howden House, Union Street, Sheffield, S1 2JQ
Telephone: 0114 273 5490
Email: Mandy.Craig@sheffield.gov.uk or Toni.Claridge@sheffield.gov.uk
MAPLAG Practice Guidance
This document explains the criteria for discussion and the systems and processes of MAPLAG meetings.
What is MAPLAG, Information for Workers, May 12
Information for professionals about the Multi Agency Pregnancy Liaison & Assessment Group.